Sunday, June 17, 2012

Murals and Michelangelo

I have often been asked which artist has been the most inspirational to me in my life.  My immediate answer has always been, and forever will be, Michelangelo.  His Sistine Chapel masterpiece, in my mind, is the single greatest artistic accomplishment in the world.

For four years he worked on scaffolding at a height of almost 70 feet. On his ceiling “canvas” of 12,000 square feet, he created over 400 life-sized figures alone.  Every inch of this work has endured, to this day, as sheer awe-inspiring beauty.

Regardless of content, mural art can be a spiritual journey for an artist.  It is an incredible achievement with regard to skill and execution, but also demands of the artist an unfathomable quantity of tolerance and endurance.

The Agony and the Ecstasy, indeed.

~Ana

www.ana-livingston.com

The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo

No comments:

Post a Comment